The ABCD Suite v.1 was launched in December 2009, and as you know by your participation in this list, tens of institutes have installed it either partially or completely, as a public application or as an internal development within the institution.
During these 2 years several corrections and minor improvements on ABCD have been published as 'patches', evaluation workshops have been held, trainings have been organized in many countries, both in presential format and online.
Anyway, the technology keeps advancing as well as the needs, so we understand that actualization of ABCD is necessary in a way that maintains compatibility with the technology, responding to new needs and adding new functions.
We want to announce that we are about to launch an actualisation and updating project for ABCD, aiming to publish a version 2.0 mid 2012. We have already engaged about 10 professional experts of this list along with financial input from four institutes for some specialized programming assignments.
But, since the project is large, we will again need the contribution and co-operation of all of you. As we did in the year 2009, when more than 80 persons from 21 countries have worked together very successfull, now we are calling to combine forces for the version 2.0 of ABCD.
In this month March we will start registering volunteers who can spend part of their time to work on different tasks. We describe the elements needed under here.
In a few days we will explain how to communicate and register for these activities, which will be divided in groups with a co-ordinator for each.
Some of the tasks envisaged are :
- Test the different modules in either Windows or Linux
- Translation of messages for the new functions in several languages
- Update online help-pages (or write new ones) to cover the new elements or work out examples
- Translate these pages from Spanish or English into all four languages: Spanish, English, French, Portugese
- Review the manuals and update them
- We need one or two experts in Java
We invite everybody who has installed ABCD, who is working with one or more of its modules and have had problems, to send us suggestions and reports on problems etc.
Please don't send these to the list, we want to provide specific channels for this information.
Preliminary list of improvements for ABCD v2.0
- Compatibility with PHP 5.3 or higher
- Change all calls to IsisScript by direct CISIS-calls
- Complete the Central Loans module : reservations, online user-interaction and debugging on problems reported (e.g. days/hour loans)
- Finish the options of using the separate copies database or the copies kept in the catalog
- Thesaurus management module (new feature)
- new OAI module (replacing the old one which had problems)
- Digital Library feature (new feature)
- Add a 'traffic-control' function for the Update Inverted File function to avoid locks (new function)
- Debugging other reported problems
- Simplify MARC-worksheets and formats
- Replace ABCD Site v.4.1 with version BVS Site 5.1.11
- Finish reporting module
- Add SDI function (new)
- Update the help documentation and translations
- Update SeCS-Web and finish documentation
- Mirror sites and servers for download and distribution of ABCD
- EmpWeb - finish some pending issues
- etc, etc, etc
- THIS LIST IS OPEN FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS !
Don't send them now, soon we will inform you about this in a more organized way.
There will be a mid-term evaluation workshop for experts, end of May in Antwerp
(participation only by invitation, participants are expected to pay their own expenses)
Delivery of beta version in July 2012
Delivery of version 2.0 end of August 2012
If an institute wishes to contribute with programming/coding time or financial input, allow us to co-ordinate. Send an e-mail to our personal addresses to Egbert de Smet and Ernesto Spinak.
Egbert & Ernesto